Wednesday 24 April 2013

Warm Evening, Junior Warwick

Tuesday was such a lovely day here that it would have been absolutely criminal not to be outside enjoying the evening sunshine and shooting a few arrows.  At the moment the light fades around 8pm local time, so there is only time for a short round, so a Warwick was in order.  Although I have shot a couple of standard Warwick rounds (60yds/50yds), I was using a set of borrowed 22lb limbs (my own had been returned for replacement after finding a crack at the weekend) so I decided to join the youngsters on a Junior Warwick (40yds/30yds).

I made a pretty good start, being able to call 9-9-9 for the first three scoring arrows and generally maintained a reasonable average per end.  I did have a slight dip immediately after the move forward to 30yds because of the lack of a sight mark at this distance, but managed to claw it back on the last dozen.

On one end my arrows were going consistently left.  The reason was pointed out by someone who has noticed that my feet had not been in line with the target, but one was further forward than the other.  I put this right on the next end!

We had a lovely sunset and finished in the twilight, still warm for a change.  My final score was 277, which is a PB for this distance and double my previous best score.  Pleased? You bet!

I am hoping my replacement limbs arrive in time for shooting on Saturday.  Their initial delivery was. Quick so my fingers are crossed.

View from the field
(Photo credit: Mark Carne)


2 comments:

  1. Foot position

    It's not so simple as to say your feet should be in line with the target. The "Square" stance is what we teach on a beginners course at 10 yards but as you progress you will develop a different stance that works for you.

    See also the GNAS coaching video on "Setup" at
    http://www.archerygb.org/support/operations/coaches/coaching_videos.php

    (An example of taking advice on the shooting line under caution. Whoever said this may not have been very experienced themselves)

    For another blog you might like to consider a discussion on the comparable merits of an "Open", "Square" or "Closed stance.

    Most experienced archers prefer an "Open" Stance. The back foot is still parallel with the shooting line, but the front foot moves to point slightly towards the target and a little backwards.

    http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/images/stance.GIF

    ReplyDelete
  2. All taken on board, but in defence of the member who spotted my feet they simply observed that they were in a different position to the previous ends and it was left to me to decide whether that was contributory. When I reverted to the square stance, things got better. I am sure I will experiment with different stances in due course, but at the moment I think I ought to be aiming for consistency.

    ReplyDelete