Tuesday 16 April 2013

Measuring for Arrows

In my last post I briefly discussed measuring for my set of arrows, but I missed a couple of important points so thought I would expand on the process in a separate post.

For the last few weeks I have been shooting a combination of different arrows.  Martin loaned me a set that I could use at our temporary indoor range, whilst at the club field I used a set of club arrows.  Martin's arrows are relatively stiff for my bow, with the result that they tend to fishtail significantly on release (the time I didn't fit the pressure button didn't help, either).  The arrows I use at the field are a closer match but still not ideal. They are also too long for me and, as I intend to use a clicker before long, I decided it was high time to get my own set of arrows.

Last week I emailed Andy and Martin with what information on my estimated draw length and draw weight and asked advice on the types of arrow I should be considering.  With the help of Mrs EA, I measured the distance from arrow nock to the button at full draw to be about 27¼", and I am using 24lb limbs.  Limb draw weight is measured at 28" draw length, and you theoretically lose 2lb for every inch less draw length under 28", so my estimated draw weight was around 22lb.  However, I had fallen into the trap of using the distance from arrow nock to the button as my draw length, when it is more correctly the distance from arrow nock to the back of the bow (the far side of the riser), which is often estimated as an extra 1¾".  So, my draw length is actually 29", which means that I am pulling closer to 26lb on 24lb limbs.  Do you find this confusing?  I certainly did!

Given the information above, Andy plugged the numbers into his shaft selector app, which came up with a range of possibilities from basic aluminium through to more expensive carbon arrows.  I had already decided to go for Easton Platinum Plus XX75 mid-range aluminium arrows that are likely to see me through my first season without costing the earth and which may have reasonable resale value when the time comes to upgrade.  The selection software indicated a size 1913 shaft, which has a spine of 0.733 and is in group T4 on the Easton shaft selection chart.  It is actually at the lower end of stiffness values in this group (the lower spine value the higher the stiffness - it is a measure of bendiness) and is only slightly stiffer than a size 1816 arrow with a spine of 0.756 and sits in group T3.  Andy argued that this may be a better compromise as it is less prone to damage and opting for a slightly shorter 28¾" length would raise the stiffness a little anyway.  Being an engineer I always like to "measure twice, cut once", so I arranged for Andy to check my measurements at the weekend.

After the Warwick round on Saturday, Andy double-checked my draw length (27¼" from nock to button) and also checked the actual draw weight of my bow at this draw length, which averaged out just over 25lb.  Andy was dead right!  We rechecked the charts and concluded that 1816 Platinum Pluses would be fine, and a cut length of 28¾" or 29" would allow the use of a clicker once the point was in place.  A quick check with Martin confirmed the decision.

A number of people have warned me against buying ready-made arrows from online retailers, as they have a tendency to become de-fletched rather easily.  Having helped Mrs EA fletch her arrows,and refletched EA jnr's arrows a number of times, I have no qualms about assembling them myself from the component parts.  I had already done some research and priced shafts, vanes and points from a number of retailers so I started at the cheapest and worked up.  Some retailers were discarded because they were quoting extended delivery and one of them appeared to offer only standard lengths (no way of defining the cut length).  Other retailers were just too expensive.  I finally placed an order with Bowsports on Saturday evening for shafts cut to 28¾", Plastifletch EP-23 vanes (gold cock, blue hens), Easton G-nocks and Easton Nibb points (and a sneaky new bow stand for Mrs EA to make best use of the delivery charge).  I got an email today (Tuesday) to say that ParcelForce will deliver on Wednesday.  Fletching will have to wait until Thursday as Wednesday is my regular bellringing practice night!  It looks like Saturday will be spent tuning and I must remember to leave one shaft unfletched.

I am looking forward to having a complete kit of my own and finally settling down to improving my handicap.

No comments:

Post a Comment