Wednesday 6 March 2013

Tuesday Night Portsmouth

Last night was my first proper indoor shoot, at the same location we used for the beginners' course.  This was a Portsmouth round, which is 5 dozen arrows at 20yds on 60cm faces, but with 10-zone scoring rather than the usual Imperial 5-zone scoring.  There were eight people on the line, so we shot in details - three arrows at a time.  This was my first time shooting at a 60cm target, and it did seem very small! It was also the first time that I had shot the same round as Mrs EA.

After a very encouraging start (second end of 51 points), things started to go downhill and at mid-way I had a very disappointing end scoring only 19 points.  Very often, arrows would consistently go too far left, and would end up in a low-scoring (or miss) zone.  At other times shots would hit approximately where I had aimed them.  I suspect that I have a problem with the consistency of my draw and release, and noticed that the good shots just 'felt right', whereas the other did not.  I will need to work on this in coming weeks and get the advice of the coaches and more experienced members.

This was by far the longest stretch of shooting so far, and I was getting recognisably tired towards the end of the round.  No doubt this will get easier as my technique improves.  My (unverified) score was 341, which I am actually quite pleased with.

Next weekend we have a Frostbite competition at the club, where the junior members have threatened to shoot in Onesies (it is Comic Relief weekend, after all).  However, some members are off to shoot a Stafford in Stafford, with the aim of rewriting a few club records.  Good luck to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment