Monday 11 March 2013

First Competition - Frostbite!

Last Saturday I took part in my first club competition, a Frostbite, which was the last of a series of outdoor competitions run by the club throughout the winter.  A Frostbite round is not an official GNAS or FITA round, but is used by UK clubs in a postal competition.  It consists of three dozen arrows shot at 30m at a 80cm face, with 10-zone scoring.  About 30 people turned up, so we shot in details, 3 arrows at a time.  Compound archers used a different target face, which looked like the the inner scoring zones only (5 to 10), probably due to their expected greater accuracy.

The last time I shot someone noticed that the arrows I was using were quite long, and suggested that I try some shorter ones.  This turned out to be a bad move, as the arrows were not really suited to the bow - they fishtailed all the way up the range.  A few times the arrow came off the rest at full draw so I suspect that they were actually a little too short, and this seemed to affect my confidence to anchor the draw properly.

I was really pleased with the first three half-dozen, scoring 16, 25 and 24, respectively. (OK, not brilliant, but this was the first time at this distance on an 80cm face).  Then it all went spectacularly pear-shaped, with the next three half-dozen scoring 7, 2 and 14 (no figures missing there).  There is not one thing I can put my finger on to explain this sudden drop-off of form, except perhaps the confidence to anchor my draw, as mentioned above.  The only saving grace is that a couple of the other novices who had been on the beginners course had chosen that day for their first outdoor round, and I did manage to exceed their scores (but not by much).

Next time I will move back to the arrows that I have been using throughout my beginners course and the early rounds, so that I can remove that variable.  This experience really does show that you need to match your arrows to your bow and the next time I change will be when I get my own set of equipment, after seeking advice from other members.

By far the best part of the day was some of the juniors shooting in their onesies!


No comments:

Post a Comment